Friday 28 September 2012

When is it okay to drink?

Heritage Day (National Braai Day) has come and gone. People surrounded by good friends, good food, and good drink. If this is a preview of summer, you better believe that there will be more of these good listed things to come. Which begs the age-old question: When is the socially acceptable time to start drinking? This debate has gone on for ages. Today, I would like to come to some kind of consensus once and for all, as this bottle of Three Olives vodka stares at me from across the room.     When I was young, my mother always said to me “People who drink in the middle of the day are alcoholics.” As I grew up, I began to recognize the holes in that theory, especially as I began attending cookout and tailgate parties for football games. Most of these people appear to lead normal, productive lives during the week. They can’t all be raging drunkards spinning out of control.
 (cafepress.com)
Next, I amended her theory and brought myself to think that people who drink in the morning have an alcohol problem. This was debunked when I remembered all of the older Down-South folks that I know who like to put a shot of liquor in their coffee every morning as an old wives tale, home-remedy way of staying healthy (and taking the edge off).  Most of them are sober the majority of the time as well.
My 2 cents on the matter: Right now as it stands, the only daytime rule that I have is to avoid being trashy drunk before 2PM. If it’s obvious that you drank your breakfast this morning, you might want to look into seeking help. Then again, that’s just my personal rule. Everyone has their own internal clock and reasons to drink, just be responsible so that we don’t have to clean up your mess. That’s my 2 cents, keep the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment