Friday 16 March 2012

We are afraid of the wrong things


I sat down to write today’s blog posting and just couldn’t grasp the idea that was trying to come through.  Not good.  The storm that the weather service predicted has just started.  It’s supposed to bring large amounts of rain, loud bangs of thunder and lightningAnd that gets me thinking.
There have been (okay… still are) times when I’m faced with figurative storms in the form of a situation that I want to change or that needs changing.  Sometimes I encounter obstacles, a bang of thunder and lightning strikes, if you will, and the concern that I have about them leads me to back away and procrastinate.  It’s usually just for a bit until I figure out a way to work through (or around) them.  Every now and then my procrastination lingers, not because I can’t figure out the obstacles part, but because of the fear I have with what might transpire. Alfred Hitchcock is quoted as saying,
Alfred Hitchcock (Source: www.)proceeding97first.blog.fc2.com

“There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it”.

He was right.  Most of the times, the thing I worried about never happened.   For those handful of times when it did (or those couple that were worse than I imagined) I still turned out okay.  
My two cents on the matter: I’m a survivor.  You are too.  How do I know?  Because you’ve gone through some stuff that you didn’t want to or didn’t think you could and yet you’re still alive, reading (or listening to) this.  You’re able to comprehend it and learn from it.  Odds are there’s something in your life right now that you think is hard/challenging/insurmountable. Odds are also that at some point you’ll look back on it and realize that not only did you get through it, but you learned something from it and are a better person because of it.  Don’t let the “what-ifs” stop you. That’s my two cents, keep the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment