Friday 24 February 2012

If I were the boss...

Money and power seem to be the first thing that comes to mind. But the more I think about this job title, I begin to examine and identify what I want in a boss. I would aspire to be someone who’s workers can approach with any situation. Not because they have to report to me, but because they value my opinion and consider it to be a benefit rather than a deficit to their situation.  I would like to be the one who can collect all of his peer’s grievances and report them to the higher up’s with conviction and vigour, channelling the feelings of colleagues beneath me. If the hammer had to fall from upper management, I would be the first line od defence for my workers and allow them ample time to defend themselves.
In order to get the job done, I would motivate them in a way that allows their creativity to shine through in their performance. With these main characteristics in my mind, putting them into practice could be seen as difficult. I would have to get my employees out of their seats and light a fire under them, keep them up with their deadlines, report and explain to management about our processes, fight for my employees, cherish the good times and deliver the bad news. I would be the hero on one day and bad guy the next. My  two cents on the matter: The boss is not just the ‘big man on campus’ with all the power, he’s more like the hardest working employee with the most responsibility. Talk about a tough (but rewarding) break. That’s my two cents, keep the change.


2 comments:

  1. I love you definition of what a boss should be, the hardest working employee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your 2 cents of what a boss should be like. Let me know when you implement it. Good luck for the future Boss!

    ReplyDelete